« Home | Why I no longer believe in the God Family doctrine... » | THE CHURCHES OF GOD IN 2050 » | GAVIN RUMNEY SOLVES THE QUESTION: WHO IS RIGHT? ED... » | HOW TO SAVE GANDHI » | HERE IS A GREAT PLACE TO FELLOWSHIP ON SUNDAY » | IF YOU ARE STILL IN ARMSTRONGISM READ THIS... » | DR. GARR AND THE JEWISH ROOTS OF CHRISTIANITY » | WELCOME! »

The Ten Commandments are good but...

















(Another classic from Mark Tabladillo's JLF message board. This splendidly written post was done this time by Johnny M during November of 1999! Good job friend! Everyone else, enjoy!)






Hi Jack,

Say I get a job and they give me a set of rules like the Ten Commandments:

1) Don't listen to anyone else but the BOSS
2) Don't steal
3) Don't lie

Will your boss be happy with you if you go to work every day and DO NOTHING?

She says to you, "what are you doing?
"
You reply, "I'm not stealing, lying, or listening to any one but you BOSS!"

"That's it!?"

"Yes! Aren't you happy I'm keeping the rules? I am doing it to please you!"

"Okay, but I asked you to do a bunch of stuff. Why aren't you doing it?"

"But the rules! I'm keeping the rules!"After a while, you're boss gets you to do some things (she's a nice boss). these are very big important things. Then she comes back to check up on you."What have you done?"

"Still keeping those RULES!!! The rules are good! Look, I made a plaque with the rules listen on them!"

"What about the WORK!?"

"Oh, yeah, I did some of it, but that's not important! What matters is the rules! I've been keeping the rules!"

"AAAHHHHGG!!!"

She is still nice and has to train a new person."Have you shown him what to do?"

"I told him about the rules!"

"That's good. What about the work?"

"Later, later, we are going to spend the first year learning the rules and keeping the rules and studying the rules because we MUST KEEP THE RULES!"

At this point she looses it and grabs you by the neck, shaking you back and forth!"Enough with the RULES! Break the rules and I'll fire you, but I didn't HIRE YOU TO KEEP THE RULES!!! I HIRED YOU TO DO SOME WORK!!"



Are you starting what I'm getting at? Keeping the 10C is good. But Felix is right: they are not the central issues. They are not a list of things Christians should do. They are not going to make you more Christ like! Stop focusing of the 10 Commandments and start focusing on Jesus. And if you really focus on Jesus, keeping the 10 Commandments won't be an issue. As you start developing the fruits of the Spirit, they will become as basic as the alphabet is to writing poetry.


Stop focusing of the 10 Commandments and start focusing on Jesus. And if you really focus on Jesus, keeping the 10 Commandments won't be an issue. As you start developing the fruits of the Spirit, they will become as basic as the alphabet is to writing poetry.


Links