« Home | Intellligent quote of the day » | Stuff you will never hear in an XCG church nor in ... » | At least somebody gets it! » | Armstrongites: modern day Pharisees or Sadducees » | Wise words from Koey Koala on what kind of Christi... » | Another blog from a former XCGer » | Wise words from Neotherm: Fundies are bullies » | Intelligent quote of the day » | Intelligent quotes of the day: condemnations on XC... » | Wise Words from Byker Bob: Imagined if Jesus Chris... »

...but FYI Again has tough questions for God and the book for Job



I admit I've never been really comfortable with the book of Job. Perhaps I've misunderstood it. But I never felt at ease with the idea that a just and loving God would beat the living daylights out of a man, torture him for days, perhaps even weeks, take away everything he had, and even go so far as to kill his family... all just to make a point about vanity.
Was there no other way that point could have been made? Was it really necessary to go that far? And really, why would God even bother to communicate with Satan in the first place? What have they got to say to one another? What good can possibly come from such correspondence?
I've read the book of Job from start to finish on many occasions. I've heard bible studies on it, read articles about it, etc. And even when I still felt close to God, I always found this book disturbing.
What is God going to say to Job's children in the resurrection? "Oh, I had you killed so I could make a point to your dad. Sorry about that. No hard feelings?"
To be very frank, I'm not entirely sure I want to know a God who does such things to those who serve Him. To His own children no less. I wouldn't treat a rabid dog the way God treats those He claims to love.
If this was meant to be comforting or encouraging, I'm afraid it missed the mark rather badly. Sorry. Better luck next time.

Labels: , , ,

Links