« Home | S.E.P. wasn't like this when I was there » | Be very, very scared of the next generation of the... » | This Man Needs Your Help!!! » | Interesting quote of the day » | Intelligent quote of the day » | Hot topic! Sex in Heaven??? » | Oh the memories of being in the cult of Armstrongism » | Theological slaves of the RCG: Dennis Diehl (and I... » | Intelligent quote of the day » | A missed opportunity of how the WCG should have been »

Intelligent quote of the day


I've never understood the significance of Halloween and Christmas being "pagan". I grew up in the WCG on Saturday and a different protestant church on Sunday. (Two parents, different beliefs.) I heard all the rhetoric about paganism but all I knew was that Halloween allowed me to dress funny, act goofy, and score some candy. Christmas often meant visits with grandparents and presents and decorating a Christmas tree (although not in my parents' house). I can see no way that God can be unhappy with the spirit of those holidays as we celebrated them.The COG argument to that, I think, is that my thoughts are not God's thoughts. Fair enough. Perhaps he has some (to me, not understandable) reason why I should not participate in those holidays. Does he hold my lack of understanding against me? It's interesting to me that COGers (at least in the past) portray God so much more viciously then he is portrayed in the Bible itself. Where did this come from? Read the Old Testament. For every plague and "kill every one of them" order there are pages of exhortation to justice and mercy, and enormous amounts of grace. As I've said in the past, I really don't think the God portrayed in COG tradition and theology matches the God in the Bible. It's a corrupted picture of God.


"Alan" discussing the XCG's anti-Christmas attitude an philosphy on Gavin Rumney's Ambassador Watch

Labels:

Links